After two months of hard work and beta testing among our beta users, we are glad to announce the release of the PlanIt! Let me start by saying thank you to our beta users. You provide many valuable feedback and bug reports. Without you, the new release would be impossible.
App Name Change
First thing first so that you don’t get confused. The app was called Photographer’s Field Tools (PFT). We plan to introduce several apps in the photographer’s tools category, so we decided to rename it to PlanIt!. It stands for “Plan the shot”. It is the same app as the old PFT. If you purchased PFT Pro before, it is free for you to upgrade. If you downloaded PFT free version and purchased the in-app purchases, you will get the upgrade for free too.
Features in 3.0
1. Viewfinder mode. Under the background selection action, we added three more entries – Viewfinder (VR), Viewfinder (AR) and Viewfinder (Picture). With these features, you can visualize the scene in a simulated viewfinder. We will draw the ground contour, or you can use your phone’s camera to preview the scene, or you can select an existing picture as the viewfinder background. We will render celestial objects on the viewfinder so that you can compose the scene visually.
2. Milky Way. We added an Ephemeris page for the Milky Way. I am telling you now – finding the milky way is never so easy.
3. Star-trail and time-lapse simulation. You can actually “Play” the viewfinder to simulate what happen as time goes by. It will show you the whole star-trail or the time-lapse process, from start to end. For time-lapse, you can even set the camera’s facing azimuth and tilting angle for the start and the end of the time-lapse.
4. Finding Sun or Moon? Just using your finger to circle an area on the viewfinder, we will show you the list of dates/times where the Sun or the Moon will appear there.
5. Many more options are added to the settings screen.
6. Markers can defined and saved. You can even define the height/width of the marker so that you can use marker to represent a high building and show it in the viewfinder.
7. The plan and markers can be saved as files. You can share the plan file or the marker file to your friend using a social app. Your friend, if he/she also has PlanIt, can open the file right from the social app.
8. And many small features.
I know people are busy and never read manual. In this case, I strongly suggest you read through the user guide at least once if you are serious about photographing. We are also very active on email. If you have any questions about how to do certain things, feel free to send us an email.